- Take a shower. Many of the moms I know don’t get to take showers every day or even every few. I go a little crazy without a shower. A shower is like hitting the reset button. Until I’ve done it, I don’t feel like my day has started.
- Make my bed. The whole rest of the house can be a mess, but if my bed is made, it gives me a
- Come back to the present moment. When I’m lost in thought, usually bad thoughts about stuff that has happened or that I imagine might happen, I label it “thinking” and breathe myself back into my body. What is happening right here and right now? Usually something that’s just fine like driving down the highway or playing with my son or sitting in my living room.
- Read. Escapist, inspiring, educational reading are all great choices. Something to take me out of the present moment, my brain, my life is exactly what I need to take care of myself sometimes (okay, often).
- Maybe most people do this all the time, but I’m just learning to ask myself, what do I feel like doing right now OR how can I take care of myself right now?
- Eat protein. Before I’m impatient, spacy, starving, or in tears from low blood sugar, it’s best to eat some quinoa, a handful of nuts, or drink a glass of milk.
- Let myself off the hook. I tend to beat myself up and have perfectionist tendencies so letting myself off the hook is an extreme act of self care. For instance I set the goal of one blog post a day this year, but when my internet connection has been down or I’ve gotten home from divorce class at 11 p.m. and am tired, or I’ve had a really good or bad day, maybe five times this year, I just haven’t posted. At least two of those, I told myself it was okay that I wasn’t doing.
- Just do it. Anticipation, worry, time spent planning are all saved if I just do something rather than spend a ton of time dreading or putting it off. I’m working on a new rule. If I’ll worry about it longer than it will take me to do something, I just do it.
- Exercise. Sore, tired, depressed are all great reasons to exercise instead of lying around.
- Go to bed earlier. Instead of getting one more thing done, watching a show, reading another chapter, just turn off the light.
What are your favorite ways to take care of yourself?
Photo by Subculturegraphics